Posted by tops on 2005-07-15 - Bugfix: Timeline comparisons could go wrong when laptime differences were large.
- Bugfix: No longer a need to specify a track's road_noise_threshold; if absent, 0 is assumed
- Bugfix: Wheel blur models now also work in reverse
- Bugfix: replay movie generation didn't update car position.
- Bugfix: Racer crashes when renderer.use_vbo was set to 1 but the gfx card didn't support it.
- Bugfix: No shift_miss played on hard crashes anymore (this actually had to do
with the driveline getting velocity mismatched for engine vs rest of the driveline).
- Bugfix: engine would stall when holding clutch depressed and shifting.
- Bugfix: fast AI automatic gearboxes would lead to shortshifting a lot.
Added a minimum 300ms time delay between each up- and downshift.
- Bugfix: Tracked's preview trackcam function works again.
- Autoclutching has been refined a bit so that controller override is a bit better.
- Added on/off script commands for traction control (tc), abs and asl. I.e. 'abs on' or 'abs off'.
- The clutch has been reversed (again); it now acts more like the throttle
and brake pedals. Clutch=0 means pedal unpressed, clutch=1 means fully depressed.
- Clutch is depressed in the start sequence (you can't drive off)
- race.quickstart=1 turns off the start lights sequence (hurrah! ;-) )
- Console output can now be logged (racer.ini:console.logfile= generates data/dump/)
- Revised controller engine entirely; instead of the control sets (data/ctrlsets/*), now
data/controls/*.ini files are used to define controllers and the controls they perform.
This was necessary because of the high number of proprietary controllers (motion/FF wheels).
See data/controls/default.ini for an example.
- Changed the hardcoded 'c' key into a control function; use change_camera in data/controls/* to
define a control to switch views.
- Added manual/automatic gear selection (racer.ini:assist.auto_shift=1 for always automatic)
- Added shift in/shift out sounds (car.ini:audio.shiftin.sample and shiftout.sample)
- Added a HTML ReadMe file to the installation.
- Added fast shifts (car.ini: gearbox.shifting.fast) to avoid waiting for shift-up control
to be released while shifting (keeping the gearbox in neutral while depressed).
Useful for racecars which shift very fast.
- Added horn sound (car.ini:audio.horn.sample)
- Added master volume of all audio (racer.ini:audio.mastervolume)
- Most texts are now taken from a language file (data/locale/racer_english.txt) for easy translation
- Tracked: modified movements; left mouse button=move around, SHIFT=pick/draw, CTRL=move fast
Posted by tops on 2005-03-21 Ruud released v.0.5.2 beta 8.5-8.7...
- Added scripts (data/scripts). onrace.rex and oncar.rex are currently run
at the start of each race, and as every car is loaded.
- Added telemetry graphing; console 'graph step -1 1 wheel0.road_noise' for example.
- Added Perlin road noise; fractal like road noise. A track's special.ini's
surface now also know about 'road_noise_frequency' and 'road_noise_amplitude'
for a maximum of 4 octaves of Perlin noise.
- Added 'echo' console command.
- Fixed trackcam bug in replay; they weren't switching.
- Added 'run' console command; runs the script data/scripts/.rex
- Added 'graph clear' console command.
- AI velocity calculations are more gradual now. Used to jerk a bit.
- Improvements on the Spoon's car shadow
- Removed some pipe checking (which gave some errors)
- Fixed replay profile bug, which prevented replays from running.
- Bugfix: the A key used to increase car camera FOV.
- Keypad + and - change car camera FOV. Notice the change in sense of speed.
- Bugfix attempt: font errors on older Windows version (Win95) in TrackEd.
- Mirror is now always updated, even if the F4 mirror is not enabled, since
the mirror may be used in car models.
- Screen clears no longer happen by default; the track's special.ini file
must include gfx.clear_color=1 when the sky is transparent or appears funny.
- car.ini addition: ai.grip_factor (normally 1.0)
- Bugfix: car selection screen now only shows highest LOD model.
- Detection of running Racer twice. It won't run twice now.
- Multiview slaves now also connect & run if the master is already running.
- Autojoin slaves now also connect & run if the master is already running.
- Automatic slave machines startup when master starts (through Spawner).
- Spectator view now gets car & track sent through
- Aspect ratio setting for non-4:3 displays (Mac mostly)
- gfx.ini and debug.ini are now incorporated in racer.ini; they're now obsolete.
- Commandline arg: -f selects racer.ini file to use.
- Minimap keying is now done a little better (gray background on minimaps)
- AI improvements
- Listserver basic support (multiplayer); not really working yet.
- Bugfix: car.ini:steering.linearity had an implicit effect on the wheel lock
- Added realtime scaling (both slowmotion and fastmotion). See debug.ini:timing
- Added gfx.ini:shader.enable test setting
- Added gfx.ini:texture.enable test setting
- Pacecar braking is more subtle
- ABS is always enabled for AI
- Fixed a number of memory leaks (some very big ones); memory management overhaul
- Turning off the texture mirror (F4) now also improves rendering speed
- Improved projected shadows to work decently with the shader system
Posted by tops on 2004-11-11 Ruud released v.0.5.2 beta 7.9...
Log for beta7.9
- Bugfix: tracks without surfaces defined would crash
- Steering ratio revised; steering wheel lock=360 now means 1 full rotation of freedom, so -180..180 degrees for the steering wheel model
Log for beta7.8
- Bugfix: wheel lock left too much steering capability
- Bugfix: director camera audio origin was always at world center
- Added surface 'skid_sound' option for surface (special.ini) to turn off skid sounds for certain surfaces. See http://www.racer.nl/tracked.htm
- Added surface 'dust_color' implementation for colored smoke.
- AI recording (Ctrl-F6) now displays the AI lines as they're being recorded, so it's easier to spot if AI recording goes wrong.
- All audio is now done in software; with boards (SBLive?) that had only so many channels, any sounds played beyond that would all be on a single channel. Had problems with the Lamborghini decelerate sounds on an Intel AC97 internal soundchip.
- Added racer.ini:audio.voices (defaults to 32) to set the max. number of samples played. Note that Racer uses a LOT of samples, but few of them are actually mixed at one time, so I just leave this at 128 for example.
- Slightly modified volume determination of engine (overall more volume)
- Bugfix: mirror sometimes turned black (lighting was on for that polygon)
- Added global emissive light for tracks. This is an emissive light that adds to ALL shaders. Per track, in special.ini:gfx.sun.global (i.e. gfx.sun.global=0.3 0.3 0.3 1). This can be used to lighten up cars on a track if the weather is sunny for example. No effect on vertex colored tracks (yet?).
- Mirror texture, if not used, is now gray instead of hard-red
Posted by tops on 2004-11-08 Ruud released v.0.5.2 beta 7.7...
Log for beta7.7 (Linux only for a couple of days):
- Added 'analyse dampers' console command that gives an overview of damper forces at some velocities (0.1 upto 0.5 m/s). To verify damper forces with actual data.
- Bugfix: AI steering improved a lot (was based on steering lock rather than wheel lock)
- Bugfix: shifting could shift from R to 1st or 1st to R in one step.
- Bugfix: steering ratio was half of what it should have been.
- Added car.ini AI fields; ai.understeer_correct and ai.oversteer_correct. Magic factors (around 30?) to add oversteer/understeer corrections to steering. Larger numbers mean less impact. Lots of magic and it's more of a try.
- AI cars now always use traction control
- Modified first line of log file for Miran's replay analyzer (some fields)
Posted by tops on 2004-10-25 Ruud released v.0.5.2 beta 7.5...
New features :
- AI improvements; no longer blind but wary of other cars
(problems with steering though, work in progress)
- Mouse preset showed flickery in the control setup screen
- Added initial camera mode (debug.ini:camera.initial_mode)
- Added camera mode; director (next to track/car/heli) (WIP).
- Throttle blipping during downshifts (racer.ini:controls.blip_throttle=1)
- Separate upshift/downshift can be specified in car.ini to allow to tune throttle blips.
Set car.ini:engine.shifting.time_to_declutch_down, time_in_neutral_down and
time_to_clutch_down (defaulting to the standard shift times specified in time_to_declutch,
time_in_neutral and time_to_clutch).
- Fixed bug when using texture quality reduction; could crash while resizing.
- Fixed minimap bug which appeared too far right on some tracks
- Minimap hides when no splines are defined.
- Added z-buffer, alpha and stencil bit depths to gfx.ini. Default is not to use
alpha bits (was 8 before).
- Added bump/rebound damper functions for more damper behavior variation
- Added camber change wrt suspension deflection
- Added camber change wrt steering
- Added bump steer (toe change wrt steering)
- Cleaned up some QLOG warnings, assumes tracks with no id are for v0.4.9 for example.
- The ^9 debug screen now also shows dynamic RC heights for front and rear.
Posted by pws on 2004-05-15 Ruud released v.0.5.2 beta 6.1...
New features :
- Rumble (road) sound removed at menu time (also in Tracked)
- Stencil shadow support; unoptimized yet! (but functional somewhat)
- Gear display is back
- Gfx engine bug fixed which could cause dark objects to appear
at different angles.
- Modeler adds an 'Optimize Shadow' button for shadow models.
Posted by pws on 2004-05-06 Ruud just released a new Racer beta. You are required to have the full previous beta install (v052b53).
- Initial FPS displaying can be controlled in racer.ini:stats.fps
- Console enabling/disabling through racer.ini:console.enable
- Console UDP output support (console.host/port)
- Multiview support (use multiple computer for panorama views)
- Mirror now really mirrors horizontally (through mirror texture)
- Texture quality can be controlled through extra settings in gfx.ini (incredibly useful on Swiss Stroll ).
- LOD factor to reduce or increase LOD distances for all objects (gfx.ini: lod.factor).
- AI now gets pulled to the racing line, so it stays on track better
(still quite a kludge that needs a lot of work). See some debug.ini ai settings.
- Race timing added; speed traps, best-time comparisons (F1 to walk through the modes)
- A bit more compatibility with older tracks for skies.
- Hiding of cursor (fullscreen mode) is now optional; see racer.ini's graphics.hide_cursor
- AI started as well when the player pressed the starter control.
- AI shifted poorly if controls.cut_throttle was set to 1.
- Cursor hiding now moves the cursor out of view, since really hiding the cursor itself didn't seem to work on a lot of configurations.
Posted by pws on 2004-04-30 Now you can do search in the car section too...
Challenge: Subaru WRC at Swiss-Stroll
Posted by tops on 2004-04-22 Outlaw organized a new challenge on Race Sim Central Forums check the forum page!
Car: Subaru WRC
Posted by tops on 2004-04-08 You can find a lot of car shaders on the following RSC thread.
Racer V0.6 just released
Posted by pws on 2004-04-01 Racer v0.6.0 final was just released today, new features are:
- New collision system with car damage
- Full Multiplayer (up to 32 player)
- New AI (in solo or multiplayer)
- Ghost replay
And much more....
Posted by pws on 2004-03-24 Check for last Linux beta in the RSC forum.
- RCS thread (you will need the Windows v052b5.2 latest release for the data files)
Broken Link Report
Posted by pws on 2004-03-23 Now, if no link are working on a track or a car, you can report it as broken. We will try to fix the link, and if possible mirror it on our local ftp server.
Top's new track: Swiss-Stroll
Posted by pws on 2004-03-21 Top's just released his new track : "Swiss-Stroll" ! Download it now... You need the last Racer beta and a good PC! Swiss-Stroll
More FTP capacity
Posted by pws on 2004-03-18 We doubled the capacity of our web server. Now we can have 480MB of files on our FTP Server. So we will host more tracks and cars. This will help us to remove a lot of bad links on server no longer available.
In a few day, I will add an option to report bad link.
That's right, Ruud has made a valiable a new patch to the 0.5.2 beta 5. The new version is 0.5.2 beta5.2 (funny huh? :D ) The patch is avaliable in the first post of this thread at the RSC forums.
It fixes all those nasty bugs that kept us from enjoying beta 5. It also adds some new features. From the thread:
- Small LOD fix; LOD objects could disappear for a small moment due to slightly different geometric centers (flickering).
- Spectator view: if racer.ini's multiplayer.audience is 1, no car will be loaded (only the remote cars will be shown).
- Wrap variables added to shader layers to help rid the extra lines at the top of treelines for example (see site:reference/shadereng.htm).
- Added $mirror texturemap which contains live rendered mirror view. See gfx.ini's mirror.texture settings. Use $mirror in shaders.
- Renderer can now handle 10,000 objects visible at the same time (Z-sorting). Was 1,000.
- Quickrace #ai cars now works at once.
- Models stored in .ar files didn't correctly find/load shaders.
- Traction control now also works in reverse gear.
- Brake 3D models are no longer inverted vertically.
- If "loading.jpg" exists in the track directory, that image will be used for loading.
- Splash screen (see racer.ini:splash and data/images/splash.jpg)
- Some race support; start lights, flagging after a number of laps.
- Cursor is turned off in fullscreen mode
Be sure to check it out, it's really worth it :)
Racer 0.5.2 beta 5 release
Posted by pws on 2004-01-30 Ruud has released a new beta, more information:
NOTE: This is quite an intermediate release meant for LOD work
- Renderer now uses Z-sorting for transparent geobs. Big geobs may still render incorrectly (models with lots of trees for example) as no sorting per polygon is nor will be implemented for performance reasons.
- Added traction control (see www.racer.nl/reference/carphys.htm)
- Added engine mapping; non-linear throttle for low gears
- Steering linearity modifiable per car (steer.linearity)
- Linearity can be inverted; using a value>1 actually exaggerates the responsiveness (for controls, steering, throttle etc).
- Automatic damping parameters for relaxation length (damp_predict_lat/long) should deal with excessive bouncing back of cars.
- LOD support for tracks & cars; see www.racer.nl/tutorial/lod.htm
- Audio simplified a bit; engine sounds in/out now working.
- Simple mirror (toggle with F4)
- lighting with wheels
- Spoon textures disappear when driving on Forest Park
- Smoke particles sorting with other transparent objects
- lots more...
Fixed: Download of track hosted locally
Posted by pws on 2004-01-24 I just fixed a problem with download of track hosted locally, so if you had some problems with download try again yet...